A look at Poughkeepsie Alcohol Rehabs
Are you wondering why Poughkeepsie alcohol rehabs reign supreme?
Poughkeepsie alcohol rehabs are a wise choice when considering where to go for your rehabilitation needs. Remember – addiction does not have to ruin your life. Addiction is, indeed, a lifelong battle. However, the specialists affiliated with Poughkeepsie treatment for drug and alcohol abuse centers are equipped to help you or someone that you love.
To put it simply, addiction is a disease. Addiction is a continuous battle and is characterized by uncontrollable, compulsive drug seeking habits which result in harmful consequences. These habits cause changes in the addicted individual’s brain and are usually abiding. Drug addiction is associated with relapse – that is the return to the drug after attempting to stop. Assistance is usually required to maintain sobriety. Poughkeepsie alcohol rehabs are ready to take your call if you are ready to receive assistance on the road to sobriety. Only the addict can admit they need the help – but treatment does not necessarily need to be voluntary to be effective. The addict must take responsibility if they are to truly begin to heal. Similarly, the pathway to addiction begins with the addict making the decision to begin using. However, along the way, the addict loses control over whether or not to use. The addiction takes over the person and they become compulsive in their drug use.
The professionals at Poughkeepsie treatment for drug and alcohol abuse centers are ready to help. Drug addiction is treated in the following ways:
- Detoxification (the process of removing toxic substances)
- Behavioral counseling
- Medication (usually administered for opioid, alcohol, or tobacco addiction)
- Evaluation for co-occurring mental health issues and treatment, if needed
- Relapse prevention training
Detox is the first step in the treatment process. To help withdrawal symptoms, mediation is sometimes administered to facilitate a more comfortable healing process. Medication is administered by professionals who have experience with this sort of treatment. Those individuals who only complete the detox phase of treatment (and do not continue with the program) usually end up relapsing.
In some cases, addicts may be addicted to more than one substance. These people need treatment for each substance they are addicted to.
As far as alcohol addiction goes, there are three medications that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to assist an addict in kicking their alcohol addiction:
- Acamprosate – helps to reduce symptoms of withdrawal that are long-lasting such as anxiety, restlessness, dysphoria (or general malaise), and insomnia
- Naltrexone – the results depend on the genetic makeup of the patient. The drug blocks opioid receptors that are involved in the rewarding effects and the cravings of alcohol. It also reduces relapse in some patients, however, the results are heavily dependent on genetic factors.
- Disulfiram – this drug interferes with the breakdown of alcohol. Taking the drug as prescribed is especially important because it builds up over time in the alcoholic’s body and causes a negative reaction if alcohol is ingested – such as nausea and irregular heartbeat.
Poughkeepsie is a city in the state of New York. Located in the Hudson Valley in between Albany and New York City, Poughkeepsie is known as The Queen City of the Hudson. The climate there is humid continental and because of its location, people who live there can expect hot summers and cold winters. The well-noted Bardavon 1869 Opera House is located here and so is the Hudson Valley Philharmonic. Rich with history, culture, and entertainment – Poughkeepsie is sure to impress visitors.